My SDR – Nice band pass filter

Braahh… I made a mistake in my last order and I got a 12.1 ohms resistor instead of a 12.1k ohms. By misfortune, the value of this resistor is critical and I can’t replace it by a 10k or something close. It’s used by the internal voltage regulator of the Ethernet chipset (LAN8720A). So, I made an extra order, payed my 11 cents for the component and the rest for the shipping cost :/

Beside, I assembled and tested the first filter. The result is excellent and I can’t expect have a better response. This band pass filter (4 poles, Butterworth) was originally designed to be used on my contest transceiver, with some close antennas in the same area. For this board, I scale it down with a maximum permissible power is 10 Watts (air cooled) on a side band (ex: parasitic TX on the 14 MHz, while the RX is centered on 7MHz).

I use a miniVNA for my measurements and I cannot read below -40dB, but the expected results looks good. The attenuation on 14 MHz should be around 70/75 db. The calculated insertion loss is around 0.5dB, and I measured in practice 0.66 dB, simply great! Some screenshots follows :

LPF7M4P-web

The LPF, using Amidon toroids (T37-2), and SMC capacitors

LPF7M-Simul1

Schematic of the filter, and response (in red, a Monte-Carlo analysis)

LPF7M-Simul2

Zoom on the top flat, around 0.5dB of insertion loss

S11_BPF7M_1-30M_Web2

S11 response, 1-30MHz (measurements here)

S11_BPF7M_5-10M_Web2

S11, close view on the 40m band (measurements here)

S21_BPF7M_1-30M_Web2

S21 response, 1-30MHz (miniVNA can’t read below -30dB with the directional coupler in place. Measurements here)

S21_BPF7M_5-10M_Web2

S21, close view, -0.66 dB on the flat top (measurements here)

My SDR – Reloaded

I received my new PCB this Friday and started to solder it with a new approach. Instead of working by stages, I soldered every series of components. It’s very fast because the components identification is visual and easy on the computer. It’s a bit boring for the large series, but I the counterpart is I soldered more than 350 surface mount components in less 4.5 hours. I used the solder mask (steel foils cut by laser) to put the right quantity of solder paste and the result is simply excellent. Now, I have to winding the toroids and finalize the board. Some pictures of my new prototype :

TinySDR7Mb2-pcb-top

Fresh new PCB, top face

TinySDR7Mb2-pcb-back

Bottom face

solder-paste

Close view on the solder paste pads

TinySDR7Mb2-solder-top

The final board soldered, without the inductors and transformers

TinySDR7Mb2-solder-back

Bottom face of the final board